Thursday, June 23, 2016

Day 31: Portomarin to Palas de Rei

Bad news woke me in my bunk in Portomarin. My old coonhound , Annie, recently from a scary episode with lymphoma, had collapsed on her evening walk. The emergency vet was afraid that cancer had returned and gone to her brain. Family and friends were working together to get her the care she needed. I was frantically trying to get word about her condition. It was 0600 in Spain and nearly midnight at home. I packed in such a hurry that I left all my delicious food in the albergue kitchen fridge. I walked like a mad person to the next town, anxious to offer wifi and talk to my son George who was talking to doctors. I took no photographs or paid any attention to where. I was. I took one break for a sit and a Coke. I sat down next to a very disgruntled American who wants to complain about everything. She got up to use the bathroom and I ran away down the crowded trail.

Since I took no pictures, I decided to post my favorite Camino dog pictures here. I prayed to St. Francis for fourteen miles.

Traveling companions.
A happy visit!

Crisco.

Cattle dog.
After speed walking with a backpack I cruised into the town where a room was waiting. I knew I wouldn't be able to talk to family at home with any privacy if I chose an albergue. I found the hotel without a problem but then heard my name called. It was the angry woman from earlier in the day - she saw me and called out! "Hey! Great to see another American! I'm staying there too!" She explained that she had taxied ahead because she didn't feel like walking. I told her about Annie and how I really needed to check in and contact my son. Without an ounce of compassion, she quipped "Yeah, my dog died while I was in Venice last year. Glad it happened on someone else's watch." I about slugged her, but she wouldn't have caught my body language as she was so embroiled in a spat she and her friend were having that she had to tell me about. I received a warm welcome, however,  from the bar-hotel owner who assured me the WiFi was excellent. "I hope you have good news," he said. " When you are ready, come down and I will feed you."

Coonhound kisses!

Within the hour I was in contact with my son, still groggy from the late night. He assured me Annie was in excellent hands and he and his dad were planning to visit with her later in the morning. I heard more of the details about her seizures and knew it must have been terrifying for my dog sitter Karen and my neighbor Jacke who rushed to help. I cried I missed her so much. I wanted to change my ticket to come home early. George said to wait - that he would video chat from the hospital and we would know more. It was good news - no cancer! She would be put on anticonvulsants and sent home that evening.  She heard me say her name and though still out of it from her seizures , she nuzzled George's phone and cocked her ears. Her tail wagged and she gave everyone coonhound kisses!

Best. Pizza. Ever.
When finally emerged from my room and went downstairs, the owner showed me a seat and brought me a beer.  Then a fantastic pizza. Then Coke! I was relieved, starving, thirsty, and thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment